Buhari-led FEC ignores public outcry on Pantami
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, on Wednesday said the Federal Executive Council did not discuss the issue of the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, during its meeting presided over by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).
There is currently ongoing call for Pantami’s resignation or sacking over his past controversial comments seen as supporting terrorist groups, including Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
The Presidency has, however, so far remained silent on the matter.
The embattled minister participated virtually in the weekly meeting of FEC.
When asked by State House correspondents at the end of the meeting, Mohammed said the issue was not discussed.
He however parried a question on whether the Federal Government feels comfortable with Pantami’s continued presence in the cabinet.
“I am not going to go into the issue of whether government is comfortable or not.
“I will answer your question directly. It (Pantami’s issue) was not discussed at the council meeting.”
Meanwhile, the council approved the augmentation of the project cost for the Tambuwal-Jega-Makera Road linking Sokoto and Kebbi States to the tune of N8.39bn.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, disclosed this to reporters at the end of the meeting.
Fashola said with the augmentation, the scope of work on about 85 kilometres of the road would now change from rehabilitation to reconstruction because it had further deteriorated from when the contract was first awarded.