Crime

Police Arrest Two Masquerades in Ondo for Stealing N370,000

Men of the Ondo State Police Command have arrested two masquerades, Sheriff Ojo and Muhammad Lukman for stealing N370,000.

The Spokesperson of the State Police Command, DSP. Funmilayo Odulami, alleged that “the masquerades attacked their victims, stole N370,000.00 and inflicted injury with cutlasses on one Adinoyi Mohammed the owner of the money at Ipele town, Owo Local Government Area of the state.”

Odulami said that “he two suspects paraded themselves as masquerades, inflicted injury with cutlasses on one Adinoyi and also stole a handset valued 32,000.00 and a shirt valued 2,500.00.

“They also inflicted injury on their victim’s father, Mr. Saliu Ajayi.

“Two cutlasses, charms and masquerade clothes were recovered from them. The two suspects had been arrested and will soon be charged to court while effort is ongoing to arrest the fleeing ones.”

THISDAY LIVE

READ MORE
Crime

Son Kills Father over Chicken Head in Ondo

A 26-year-old Godwin Matthew has macheted his 64 year old father, Matthew Audu to death in Akure, the Ondo state for giving him the head of a chicken killed to entertain his younger brother.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Funmi Odunlami in a statement made available to THISDAY yesterday said that the murder incident was reported at the Ala Police station by the wife of the deceased.

“On 9th September, 2021, a case of murder was reported at Ala Divisional Headquarters by one Mrs. Christiana Audu Matthew that her son Godwin Matthew, ’m’, 26 years old left home with his father to the family’s farm but later discovered that the young man had macheted his father to death.

“In the course of interrogation, the suspect stated that on 9th September, 2021, his late father directed him to kill a chicken for his brother one Emmanuel Audu ‘m’, 7 years old, for his entertainment, meanwhile, it was only the chicken head that was given to him and this made him to kill his father.”

Odunlami, also said that a 64 year old man, Ajayi Awe has been arrested for defiling a six year old girl.

According to her “On 17th of September, 2021, at about 2000hrs, one Mrs. Obademi Fatimah of B11 Daja, Ajowa-Akoko, came to Okeagbe-Akoko Divisional Headquarters and reported a case of defilement.

“She stated that her daughter, names withheld, aged 6, of same address, was defiled by one Ajayi Awe ‘m’ Aged 64 of B/98 Daja Ajowa- Akoko, some days ago in his house.

“The suspect had been arrested and the victim taken to the Hospital for medical care and report.

The police spokesperson added that the Suspect confessed to the commission of the crime and would be charged to Court after police investigation.

The Police spokesperson noted additional 12 suspects have been arrested for various criminal offences ranging from armed robbery, stealing, defilement among others.

THISDAY LIVE

READ MORE
Crime

Super TV boss: Chidinma’s murder trial starts November 9

Chidinma Ojukwu, a 300-level Mass Communication student of the University of Lagos, who is alleged to have murdered the Super TV Chief Executive Officer, Michael Ataga, has pleaded not guilty to the crime.

Chidinma, alongside one Adedapo Quadri, who is also a key suspect in the murder case, pleaded not guilty to eight counts bordering on murder, forgery and stealing.

The two accused were arraigned before Justice Yetunde Adesanya of the Lagos State High Court sitting at Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos.

One of Chidinma’s relatives, Chioma Egbuchu, was also arraigned after the late Ataga’s iPhone 7 was said to have been recovered from her.

Egbuchi, however, pleaded not guilty to the ninth count of being in possession of the stolen property.

The Director of Public Prosecutions, Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, led the prosecution team for the Lagos State government.

Chidinma was represented by Onwuka Egwu; Quadri was represented by Babatope Busari; while the Director of the Office of Public Defender, Babajide

Adeyemi told the court that the defendants conspired amongst themselves and allegedly murdered the Super TV boss on June 15, 2021, at 19, Adewale Oshin Street, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

According to her, Chidinma and Quadri allegedly killed the man by stabbing him repeatedly with a knife in his neck and chest.

The first and second defendants, Chidinma and Quadri, were charged with conspiring to commit murder; murder; conspiring to commit felony to wit: forgery, making documents without authority, forgery and stealing.

According to the prosecution, the offences are punishable under Sections 222, 233, 280, 329, 365, 370, and 411 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.

After the defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges, Adeyemi urged the court to further remand the defendants.

“We shall be applying that all the three defendants be further remanded in prison prior to the trial date,” she said.

Consequently, Justice Adesanya remanded the first and second defendants in prison custody and allowed the third defendant, Egbuchi, to continue on the bail granted her at the Magistrates’ Court.

The case was adjourned till November 9, 11, 15, 16, 17, 25, 29, and 30 for trial.

PUNCH

READ MORE
Crime

Banditry: Telecoms blackout extended to Katsina

Nigerian local authorities have extended a telecom shutdown in northwest Zamfara state to a neighbouring Katsina State as part of an ongoing military crackdown on gangs behind a series of mass kidnappings, an official said Friday.

Nigerian security forces in Zamfara last week began one of their largest recent operations against the armed gangs, known locally as bandits, in an attempt to halt the surge in violence.

Looking to disrupt the armed groups’ communications, the country’s telecoms regulator also ordered operators to shut their towers in Zamfara as the military began raids and air strikes on bandit hideouts.

A security aide to Katsina State Governor Aminu Bello Masari said telecommunication services were now also shut in 13 of that state’s 34 districts on the border with Zamfara.

“The shutdown is meant to stop bandits from Zamfara moving into Katsina state to use telecom services for their terrorist activities,” Ibrahim Ahmed Katsina said.

“For now the shutdown affects 13 local governments to aid ongoing security operations but we will not hesitate to expand the shutdown where necessary,” Katsina said.

Northwest and central Nigeria have long been plagued by criminals gangs who raid communities, stealing cattle and kidnapping residents for ransom after looting and burning homes.

But the violence has escalated this year and bandits have turned their sights on schools and colleges to abduct hundreds of pupils in a series of mass kidnappings. 

Heavily-guarded bandit camps dot the Rugu forest that straddles the northern states of Kaduna, Katsina Zamfara and Niger.

Hundreds of troops aided by gunships and fighter jets launched offensives on Saturday on bandits camps in the Shinkafi area of Zamfara state, security sources have said.

Following the telecoms shutdown Zamfara residents have been trooping to Funtua in Katsina state to make phone calls and bank transactions, which have also been disrupted.

Local officials and residents say gangs of bandits fleeing the military offensive have attacked communities in neighbouring states.

Gunmen presumed to be from Zamfara kidnapped more than 20 people on Wednesday in a village on the provincial border in neighbouring Sokoto State, police said.

PUNCH

READ MORE
Crime

Ekiti community protests as bandits kidnap couple, two others, demand N10m

Angry residents of Ajebamidele area of Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital, on Wednesday, protested against the alleged kidnap of four residents by gunmen on Tuesday.

The placard-carrying residents trooped out in large numbers as early as 7am and blocked the busy Ado-Ikere Ekiti highway, leaving commuters stranded just as business activities were paralysed.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the kidnap occurred in Goshen community in Ajebamidele, Ado Ekiti.

The residents decried the level of insecurity in the community and called on both federal and state governments to do something to save them from criminals.

The protesters claimed that a landlord, identified as Mr Falomo, his pregnant wife, as well as a man said to be a pastor, were among the kidnapped victims.

A protester, who identified himself only as Sola, said, “The woman (Mrs Falomo), was trailed to her residence by the AK-47-bearing kidnappers. Her husband, who came out on a rescue mission, was also abducted.

“The kidnappers fired several gunshots into the air during the attack to prevent the rescue of the victims. Some residents, who were just arriving home, fled in different directions.

“The other two victims were kidnapped as the gunmen were making their way out of the community. Policemen from the Ologede Police Station along Ikere Road arrived at the crime scene shortly after the kidnappers left.”

The Chairman of Goshen Landlords Association, Mr Samuel Fasua, said the protest was to draw the attention of government to the incident.

He said, “According to the information gathered, the masked kidnappers were armed with AK-47 rifles, which they shot sporadically. Nobody could come out to rescue the victims because of the heavy gunfire that rocked our neighbourhood during the incident.

“Guns boomed as if the place was a war zone. The matter has already been reported to the police.”

One of the protesters, Emmanuel Ayodeji, who said his sister-in-law was among those kidnapped, disclosed that the abductors called the family to demand a ransom of N10m.

Ayodeji said, “My sister-in-law arrived home in her car and they trailed her from outside. Her husband confronted them, but he was overpowered and they abducted him as well.

“It was this (Wednesday) morning that I later got to know that two more persons were kidnapped during the attack, including a pastor and a woman.”

PUNCH

Details later

READ MORE
Crime

Hushpuppi: Investigation panel submits report to IGP

The Special Investigation Panel (SIP) set up by the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali Baba, to investigate the former commander of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT), DCP Abba Kyari, on his indictment by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has submitted its report.

Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, who made the disclosure, said the chairman of the SIP, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Joseph Egbunike, presented the report to the IGP, at the Force Headquarters, Abuja.

Egbunike, while presenting the report, told the IGP that it contained the case file of the probe, evidence and findings as well as testimonies from DCP Abba Kyari and other persons and groups linked to the matter.    

The IGP, who commended the panel for the work done, stated that the essence of the probe was to carry out discreet investigations into the allegation levied against the officer, to enable the force leadership to be appropriately guided in its decision-making processes.

He assured that a careful and expeditious review of the recommendations will be undertaken by the Force Management Team and, thereafter, forwarded to appropriate quarters for necessary action(s). He reiterated the commitment of the Force to justice for all.

SUN

READ MORE
Crime

Super TV CEO’s family petitions IGP, seeks new probe into murder

Mike Ozekhome, counsel for the family of the late Super TV Chief Executive Officer, Usifo Ataga, has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali, to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding Ataga’s death at a service apartment in the Lekki area of Lagos State.

Ozekhome said investigation into Ataga’s death was not professionally handled, adding that the police, without obtaining legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions, arraigned the prime suspect, Chidinma Ojukwu, and other suspected accomplices, at a chief magistrate’s court, which had no jurisdiction over murder cases.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria stated that Ataga’s family alleged that one of the arraigned suspected accomplices, Babalola Disu, carried out the murder.

“The family premised its suspicion on information it had to the effect that Disu’s short rental apartment was directly opposite the apartment where Ataga was killed.

“The family narrated how the said Disu had asked that the carpenter of the Air BnB short service apartment should be called to fix his door, only for the carpenter to be told that it was actually Ataga’s door that was broken.

“The family said it also suspects the said Disu for having a hand in Ataga’s murder because of the manner in which he disappeared from the service apartment and wondered why he was charged for mere obstruction and failure to report a crime, thus being granted bail in the ridiculous sum of N1m only.

“Why did Disu obstruct police investigation and over what crime? How did he do so? What crime did Disu fail to report to the police for which he was now charged? Was it the murder case? And if so, how was he connected to it and under what circumstances did he know about it? The Ataga family needs answers,” the petition said.

Ozekhome stated that the family demanded re-investigation of the entire murder case of their breadwinner, adding that the findings should be handed over to the Lagos State DPP to formally re-arraign Chidinma and other suspected accomplices who had already been charged before the chief magistrate’s court.

“These are the persons of Babalola Disu; Ojukwu – Chidinma’s alleged father or sugar daddy; Jessica Egbochi; Abayomi Olutayo; and, Ifeoluwa Olowu; and any other person(s) whom the police investigation may still throw up as having been linked to Ataga’s cold-blooded murder,” the petition added.

PUNCH

READ MORE
Crime

EFCC seals off Kwankwaso’s property in Kano

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has sealed off a multi- million Naira property belonging to the former governor of Kano State, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.  

Kwankwaso, a leading  member of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) is the immediate past governor of Kano State.Sources said the property, Kwankwaso Foundation – ( The property which was donated to the state government as an Isolation cente but was rejected ) has been marked by the Commission for investigation,Saturday Sun was told that a former boss of the state refuse agency, Abdullahi  Mansur Gwarzo has been picked up by the Commission on Thursday for questioning in  connection with the on going investigation.Although some have linked the investigation  to  Kwankwaso’s 2015  Presidential campaign fund  an official of the anti corruption bodyý explained that they were investigating a petition arising from a property dispute within the Ismaila Gwarzo family in the state.

He explained that the sealed property was sold to the former governor by one Abdullahi  Muazu Gwarzo adding that there appeared to be a problem with the disbursement of the proceeds of the transaction among the immediate family members of the GwarzosSaturday Sun was equally informed that it was likely that Abdullahi Muazu Gwarzo who sold the property  to the former governor on behalf of the Gwarzos may not have had the consent of all to sell.

Meanwhile some other properties linked to the present investigation have  been marked off by the commission.The spokesperson of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Wilson Uwujaren has confirmed that they are investigating a petition in this regard.

SUN

READ MORE
#YorubaNation

BREAKING: Judge travels abroad as Igboho’s aides meet all bail conditions

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court in Abuja has travelled out of the country as the 12 detained aides of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, met all their bail conditions.

The detainees’ lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, told The PUNCH on Tuesday that Justice Egwuatu was supposed to sign the release warrant of his clients today but the bail office of the court informed him that the presiding judge travelled out of the country on short notice.

The court had asked each of the 12 detainees to get two sureties each, making it a total of 24 sureties. The detainees had secured the sureties last week but the bail office of the court said it needed to write letters to the offices of the 24 sureties to get more confirmation.

Olajengbesi said the confirmation of the sureties had been completed, adding that he was at the bail office of the court on Tuesday waiting for the judge to sign the release order of his clients but he was told that Justice Egwuatu had travelled out.

“We have met all the bail conditions and the deputy registrar at the bail office has signed a memo to that effect. However, I was told by the bail office that the judge that will sign their release order has travelled out urgently for a seminar and will not return till next week,” the detainees’ lawyer told our correspondent.

The lawyer said the sudden trip of the judge was a plan to delay the release of his clients after their detention for about 50 days in the custody of the Department of State Services.

DSS operatives had arrested the 12 persons on July 1, 2021, during a raid on Igboho’s Ibadan residence around 1am.

DSS spokesman, Peter Afunanya, had said the secret police killed two other associates of the activist in a “gun duel.”

The 12 detained persons had approached the court through their lawyers led by Olajengbesi to seek their release in line with their fundamental human rights.

The aides are Abdullateef Onaolapo, Tajudeen Irinloye, Dikeola Ademola, Ayobami Donald, Uthman Adelabu, Olakunle Oluwapelumi, Raji Kazeem, and Taiwo Tajudeen; while the four aides are Amudat Babatunde, Abideen Shittu, Jamiu Oyetunji, and Bamidele Sunday.

Justice Egwuatu had on August 4, 2021 admitted the 12 applicants to bail.

The 12 persons have spent about 50 days in the custody of the secret police in Abuja but the DSS through its lawyer, Idowu Awo filed a remand application, asking the court to nullify the bail earlier granted to four of the 12 detained associates of Igboho.

Awo said investigations revealed that the four detainees were heavily involved in the alleged offence of arms stockpiling and other criminal activities of their boss, Sunday Igboho.

PUNCH

READ MORE
Crime

Gunmen kidnap farmer in Ekiti

A farmer, identified as Suyi, was reportedly kidnapped in the Ikole Area of Ekiti State on Sunday two days after gunmen killed a guest and abducted his wife and daughter along Ayetoro–Ewu Ekiti Road in the state.

Sources said that the farmer went to his farm in the Okejebu Area of Ikole Ekiti but he did not return home at the close of the day.

A family source said, “At about 6pm when he did not return home, relentless efforts were made to reach his phone line, but all were futile. It was along the line that a call came in demanding for N5million before he could be released”.

The source called on security agencies to come to the aid of the family so that the victim could be set free from the kidnappers’ den.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti Command, Sunday Abutu, who confirmed the incident, said the man who had gone to his farm failed to return home.

Abutu said, “We got information that the old man went to farm on Sunday and never returned. We have been given information about his movement and our operatives are investigating the matter. We appeal to our people to be security conscious at all times.”

READ MORE